Faith Can Move Mountains... But Dynamite Works Better

Friday, July 1, 2016

Yes, Maple Syrup Is In Our Blood


"I see Canada as a country torn between a very northern, rather extraordinary mystic spirit which it fears and  its desire to present itself to the world as a Scotch banker." ~ Robertson Davies

"When I was crossing the border into Canada, they asked if I had any firearms with me. I said, well, what do you need?" ~ Steven Wright

"Americans are benevolently ignorant about Canada, while Canadians are malevolently well informed about the United States." ~ J. Bartlett Brebner


"I crossed through the mountain woods, following his trail. He was out of his element, yet another entertainment reporter in designer clothes and loafers. Out in the woods. Out in the great outdoors. And panicking. They'd come after me for years, always mistaking me for that other Lars Ulrich. I mean, honestly, are they really that dumb? How long would it be before I closed the distance? Not long. I was giving the bastard a chance to think he might just get away. That was always the best time to come out of nowhere and scare the living daylights out of them. How dare he ask me if Metallica's planning on doing a Tragically Hip tribute album!" ~ from the journals of Inspector Lars Ulrich


Today is Canada Day, and as such I'll be off celebrating the day. It has been my habit in recent years to mark the occasion with images from each province and territory. Some of these are places I have seen, while others have not yet crossed my path. Enjoy!

Castle Hill National Historic Site, Newfoundland and Labrador
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
Prince Edward Island National Park, Prince Edward Island
Kouchibouguac National Park, New Brunswick
Old Quarter, Quebec City, Quebec
Point Pelee National Park, Ontario
Lower Fort McGarry National Historic Site, Manitoba
Last Mountain Provincial Historic Park, Saskatchewan
Sirmilik National Park, Nunavut
Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories
Dawson City, Yukon
Royal Tyrrell Museum, Drumheller, Alberta
Tofino, British Columbia

11 comments:

  1. All great photos, William--but my favorites are the Canadian Car Wash and that passage from Lars' journal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, Lars' journal and the Canadian Car Wash.
    Happy Canada Day !

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those are great photos. Thanks for sharing them and Happy Canada Day! You mean your babies aren't delivered like they are here in the U.S., by storks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to get to Canada before Trump builds his wall. He may not let real Americans out after his election.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These all look like beautiful places to visit. I hope you get to see them all.

    I like all the quotes, too, and I'm afraid the one by J. Bartlett Brebner is a little too right on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Norma: thanks!

    @Parsnip: thank you!

    @Diane: apparently not.

    @Shelly: fortunately I don't think there are enough crazy people to vote him in.

    @Kelly: thank you!

    @Petrea: it seemed fitting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see Lars is still Lars. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pix always make me want to visit Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great wide wonderful place is Canada! Thanks for sharing these gorgeous photos! I loved the one as to how babies are born in Canada...you probably heard me howling in laughter at that one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to see some of this in person some day.
    Love the real maple syrup, by the way. Won't take the other on a good pancake!

    ReplyDelete

Comments and opinions always welcome. If you're a spammer, your messages aren't going to last long here, even if they do make it past the spam filters. Keep it up with the spam, and I'll send Dick Cheney after you.