Faith Can Move Mountains... But Dynamite Works Better

Monday, September 27, 2010

Setting The Stage For Disaster, Among Other Things...

While away from the computer in the last couple of days, I've had ideas for both what I'm writing now, and the books yet to come.

Awhile back I mentioned the idea of using the ruins at the Mackensie King estate in the Gatineau Hills as the setting for a murder. I know how to do it now, and in fact I've practically written the scene in my head. It'll open up the current day action in the third book, and the victim in question? A former IRA man with a lot of sins in his past. The killers? You've met one already, and his name is Cain.

Another issue I've been tossing back and forth has to do with a mentor figure for one of my main characters. He's been referenced already in Heaven and Hell.  He's going to turn up again, certainly in the next book, which will be the prequel, and probably again down the line. He's deeply disappointed in the character in question, for turning his back on one profession for something he doesn't even know about.

The problem was that his name was generic. It didn't mean much of anything. Until I realized I could use a name that's in my family background as his surname. And it works perfectly. So, John Kersten he is, and John Kersten he shall stay (unless I change his first name, of course; I tend to change first names a lot). I just have to edit the text where it appears. Once I find it, of course. But as usual, I'm getting ahead of myself.

And the last thing that came to me was a brutal way to die. It in fact ties into Cain, and gives him a motive for his own vendettas and the murder mentioned above. Let's just say that for the moment, it means a really bad end in a steel plant for one of his family members, which drives Cain into the terrorism game.

Now I really have to get back to driving those terrorists over the edge....

Wait, I would have thought that already happened, what with the whole murdering a foreign dignitary thing they did....

1 comment:

  1. Driving terrorists over the edge? Them, and the rest of us, too....

    ReplyDelete

Comments and opinions always welcome. If you're a spammer, your messages aren't going to last long here, even if they do make it past the spam filters. Keep it up with the spam, and I'll send Dick Cheney after you.